...
Saturday, August 22nd, 2026

Fire claims Crestline home

Dec 18, 2025 | Crestline, Front Page

A partial collapse of a cantilevered deck at the rear of the home posed a danger to firefighters. No one, however, was injured. (Photo courtesy of SB County Fire)

By DOUGLAS W. MOTLEY

Senior Writer

 

A pre-dawn blaze of yet-to-be-determined origin laid waste to a Crestline residence in the 600 block of Arth Drive on Monday, Dec. 8.

According to San Bernardino County Fire Department Public Information Officer Shawn Millerick, the first crews began arriving around 2 a.m. and discovered huge flames emanating from the street level of the home.

Burned wooden structure with wheels and debris.

“The lone occupant, an adult female, was able to evacuate safely, while a second resident was not home at the time,” Millerick said, adding that firefighters were able to gain control and knock down the flames around 4 a.m., with help from five County Fire engine companies and an additional engine company from CalFire.

The County Fire press release posted on Facebook stated that crews assumed an exterior defensive strategy, deploying hose streams to multiple sides of the home, prioritizing knockdown of the fire and preventing exposure to the neighboring house before entering the structure. A hazard alert was broadcast due to a partial collapse of a cantilevered deck at the rear of the structure.

Asked what might have caused the blaze, Millerick said, “That and the estimated dollar amount of damage to the property is still under investigation.” When asked whether there were any difficult or dangerous moments during the fire, he replied, “Nobody was injured; the only life hazard was the partial collapse of a deck at the rea of the homes.”

Despite the enormity of the fire, firefighters were able to save neighboring homes and there was no threat to forest vegetation.

Editor’s note: A GoFundMe account was established to help the homeowner after this fire: http://bit.ly/4rU5jCi.

The account states that “early Monday morning, Kimiko and her son Riku lost their home in a devastating house fire. Just after 1 a.m., Kimiko woke up to the smell of smoke. In a matter of hours, they lost everything. They only have the clothes on their backs are still in shock as they try to process the loss of their home and belongings. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a real difference as they work to recover from this devastating event.”

As of Dec. 12, $36,054 had been raised with contributions ranging from $10 to $1,000.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share

Business Directory

goodwin-web-ad
kw logo adopt a highway
Arrowhead Boat Yard
MCH-web-ad

READ SIMILAR ARTICLES

‘Businesses Here Are Thriving’

‘Businesses Here Are Thriving’

By Mary-Justine Lanyon   Two of the Blue Jay business owners – Bev Eskew and Chad Logan – sat down to chat about their village. “The businesses that are here are thriving,” Logan said. He acknowledged that several storefronts are currently empty but noted there...

Jackie’s legacy to live on

Jackie’s legacy to live on

It may have been well over a week since Jackie – the world-famous bald eagle from Big Bear – died but the tributes continue to flow in. In mid-July, an eagle later identified as Jackie was found grounded and was attacked by two subadult eagles. The injured eagle was...

Brewfest on tap for August 22

Brewfest on tap for August 22

By DOUGLAS W. MOTLEY Senior Writer   The 16th annual Lake Arrowhead Brewfest, slated for Saturday, Aug. 22, will be held under the big white tent in Lake Arrowhead Village’s peninsula waterfront park from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. To enter the event venue,...